Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Depressing Time of Year

So, Christmas is almost here, less than three weeks to go. But while all the excitment of the holidays is around us, there is a little thing in Calgary that causes your body to feel a little quiter.

Over the past couple of weeks it has started. We are out of the cold weather snap we had the past little while, with an average of -28 in the day and -37 at night (or -42 when walking to work in morning?!) and now we have temps right now of 0 and by Saturday a possible of 13, it is the lack of sunlight that starts to get to people.

What takes place is the sun doesn't come up until around 8:40am and goes down before 4pm. So, when I'm walking to work, it's dark. When I'm going home, it's dark. I never used to believe that stuff I heard about lack of sunlight, but I can tell you, it's true.

It plays with your head. You start to feel weird, kind of sad, slow, it is kind of hard to explain. You really have to take time over lunch and go out just to get sunlight. I'm not getting rickets or anything like that, but it can get a little depressing to not see the sun.

Oh well, Christmas is coming! I'm getting myself in the mood right now by watching Santa Claus is Coming to Town, singing along with Put One Foot in Front of the Other (if you don't know it, you're lost, if you do know it, the song is stuck in your head now). I'll be heading home in a couple of weeks, seeing how much Ottawa has changed (?!) and seeing family and friends. But there are things to report on Calgary before I head back...so keep reading

No comments: