Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My First Flames Game (Hockey Night in Calgary)

Last week I went to my first game in Calgary since moving here. It took quite a while for some of my sponsors to get me tickets for this, but off I went. I thought besides the game, I'll try and see what the difference between a game at the stadium here compared to Ottawa would be. Here what I discovered:

1)We had tickets in the 100 section, behind the Flames net. Good seats to see the action, but the difference here from Ottawa is the bowl seats at the ends are like seats in the 300 in Ottawa. Very tight feeling, not a lot of leg room. I was feeling cramped. I now know why they want to renovate the stadium. I was also surprised about the lack of Private Boxes. With all the head offices out here, they are really missing out. Advantage - Ottawa

2)Concessions. At first, it looked exactly the same. Instead of Pizza Pizza, it is Boston Pizza, a smaller slice for $5.75. Then I found another concession area just away from our seats, $6.75 for a huge chicken finger order. Beer, they only had one size, but for $6.75, it is bigger than the ones in Ottawa and too big that it gets warm quickly. I didn't try the hot dogs, too full after that finger deal. - Advantage - Calgary

3)Clock. Looked a little out of date, not sure if it was the mesh getting in the way, but I believe it is time for a new clock. - Advantage - Ottawa

4)Goals. When the Flames score, there are little bubbles up by the clocks on both side that shoot out a flame. I thought that was neat. Also, they keep the stadium cooler, so when the flame shoots out, you get warm by it. I do like the horn in Ottawa, but it had a feeling when they scored, it may have been the coolness. - No Advantage.

5)Announcers. The same as in Ottawa, guys who do the contest are annoying. Interesting though to be at a game and hear the national anthem only in English. - no Advantage

6)Crowd. They're loud. I will say the loudest I ever heard was at two games for Ottawa at the Centre, but for early in the season game against Colorado, these people really know what is going on. They really follow their Flames. Nothing against Ottawa fans (I'm still one of them), but I don't get the bandwagon jumping feeling as much here. - Advantage - Calgary.

7)Traffic. This is really unfair, but the Saddledome is one stop off the train from my work. So, as long as you leave an hour before the game, the crowd on the train won't be as bad. On a warmer night, I could walk home from the Dome, I probably wouldn't do it for safety reasons, but you could. Once the game was over, I was lucky and caught a train minutes after I got out of the stadium and was home in less than 15 minutes. Even if you live in Kanata, when was the last time you heard that about leaving Scotiabank Place? This goes with crowd as well, Flames were up 5-2 with over five minutes left in the third, I could probably count the amount of people who left in the hundred sections on two hands. Another thing you rarely hear in Ottawa. Some people told me traffic getting out of the stadium is the same, but there is no reason to park there. - Advantage - Calgary



Overall, good game. the Flames has their powerplay working really well, and they looked good. It makes me wonder if how well they are playing and how well the Sens are playing, could we see them meet in the playoffs? Too early to tell, but home can hope. If they do, I'm just wondering where I can watch the game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So I see that you needed to wait to get free tickets before you went to a game. Isn't that something you said you hated about the people in Ottawa. They only go to things when things are handed to them? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Sean Fitzpatrick said...

Well, actually, because of the popularity of the Flames, it is almost impossible to get tickets. I've tried in the past to buy tickets, and no luck because they were sold out. I was offered these ones and had the chance to buy tickets.