Monday, February 06, 2006

Watching the Super Bowl Out West

Even while having sattelite or digital cable back in Ottawa, I got used to never being able to see the Super Bowl through the American networks, always having them taking over by Global, so you couldn't see the American commercials that run during the game. Low and behold my surprise last night when not only was my digital box allowing me to watch the game on the Detroit station, but also I got to see the American ads (I wonder if it had anything to do with the game being in Detroit).

The ones that stick out were a Bud Light ad, where a husband goes up on a roof to 'clean the gutters' for his wife, when he gets on top of the roof, he pulls out a lawn chair and a bud light, spots his neighbour, his neighbour asks what he is doing, and he responds. His neighbour, doing the same thing, having a beer sittting on a lawn chair, states he is 'fixing the sattelite'. They both see their other neighbour getting on his roof. 'Fixing a leak in the roof' he claims, the two state, 'good idea, have to use that one', where the 3rd neighbour states 'no, I'm really fixing...' and falls through the roof where we see his wife enjoying a Bud Light.

Another ad featured monkeys (Lisa...monkeys), jumping around partying in an office setting, where a display shows increased revenue. An office worker comes in and turns the display around, explaining that revenues are actually down. The monkeys stop, look around, then put the display back the way they had and continue to party. The ad then says 'need a new job". Later this office worker is speaking to friend, where she claims 'I know what you mean, I work with nothing but jackasses', then all you see if jackasses in suits.

As for the game itself, a pretty boring game, with a couple of questionable calls. I believe the first Seahawks touchdown should have stood and the Steelers first shouldn't have counted, he did not make it over the line, but that is just one Ottawa man out West's opinion. The Rolling Stones, well, thankfully I was making dinner at the time, so I saw what was necessary.

Another good thing about watching the game here is the time zone, the game was over by 8pm, more than enough time to relax before passing out after the game. Now, we have the Olympics to look forward to, even if the first game against Italy is 5am Mountain time.

No comments: